Monday, April 23, 2012

What's going on down the street?

Recently, Matt and I drove down Park Lawn Road, which is our main route down to the waterfront in the West end, and we were shocked to see how much condo development is going on near the intersection of Park Lawn & Lakeshore Blvd.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for being so slow on the uptake.  I knew there was a lot of changes happening to the neighbourhood, but I had no idea so much progress had been made.  There are numerous half-built condos, almost-completed condos, and some REALLY big holes in the ground!








Wanting to be "in the know" about what's going on in our neighbourhood, I searched around a bit and found one really useful article that outlines some of the condo developments in Etobicoke, shown on the map below:

Source: http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/article/920949

The cluster at the bottom-right of the map is the area I'm referring to.   The article was published about a year ago, so there are already some significant changes.  For instance, when I looked up "I Loft at Mystic Pointe", I discovered that the developer already has an additional condo in the works called "Sunset Condominiums" that must be more recent.

I'm not opposed to this type of grand-scale development.  In fact, I can't help but think of all the promise it brings to the neighbourhood.  There are two major arteries in the neighbourhood, that despite their potential, have instead been known to be a bit dodgy and seedy.  Lake Shore Blvd, which runs parallel to the lake has the potential to be a great beach-type community, with independent shops, restaurants, and cafes.  But there aren't a lot of these types of businesses to currently wow the residents of the area.  The Queensway, which runs east-west through the area could be a destination for the neighbourhood, with grocery stores and other local businesses.  But it is currently riddled with "massage parlours", "novelty stores" and adult video stores.

I would like to think that more favourable businesses will  thrive with the influx of residents that will occur when these condo developments are complete.   The condos themselves also feature some retail space on the ground-floor levels, and I think that might help set the tone for the rest of the neighbourhood.  Rumour has it that Starbucks might even be one of the future tenants?!

I can't wait to see the impact that this has on the neighbourhood, businesses, property values, and even the beautiful underrated waterfront!

No comments:

Post a Comment